Do you find frequent rashes and tiny red bumps on your skin? Do cold, windy days trigger skin flushing? Does your skin burn or feel itchy on contact with topical products? If these conditions resonate with you, you have sensitive skin. Though sensitive skin is tricky to deal with at times, taming its volatility is not as challenging as everyone thinks. By following these 5 cardinal rules, your sensitive skin is sure to remain happy and calm.
Wash your face with lukewarm water
One of the most relaxing sensations is definitely having a steamy bath with piping hot water. Though balmy baths may feel good in the moment, our skin are not fans of them. Hot water can be abrasive to skin, leading to higher levels of skin sensitivity after. It also dries out your skin (especially for those with naturally dry skin) and strips it of necessary oils. It’s best to stick to rinsing with lukewarm or cool water if you’re trying to give your sensitive skin some extra love and care. the recommended cleanser will be Lait U.
Opt for gentle, non-fragrance skincare products
With sensitive skin, it’s absolutely essential to cultivate the habit of checking the ingredients in your skincare products. One of the biggest foes to our skin is fragrances, which cause irritation and cumulative damage in the long run. Steer away from products that mention “fragrance”, “parfum”, “cinnamal” and “citronellol” in their ingredients list. If you’re looking to replace your skincare stash with some nourishing non-fragrance products, here are some of our favourites:
- Masque Biosensible – soothes skin, diffuses redness, restores defective hydrolipidic film
- Serum Erythos – soothes skin, diffuses redness, regulates vascularization
Keep your skin hydrated and moisturized
Our skin thrives on hydration and when adequately hydrated, will naturally remain calm and clear. By drinking around 2 litres of water every day, your skin will become a healthy canvas to work with, which will allow for optimal absorption and nourishment from your skincare routine. Applying a good moisturizer and hydrating serum also further ensures that your skin is locking in all the moisture it needs.
- Aminotique Serum – intense hydration, soothes skin, intensifies cell multiplication
- Creme Verte Espoir – hydration, soothes skin, diffuses redness
- Yall02 - most hydrating finishing serum, rich in hyaluronic acid and anti-oxidant to restructure and protect epidermis
Protect against pollution
We all have a lipid barrier that protects our skin from damaging factors such as UV rays and harsh chemicals. Sadly, those of us with sensitive skin has a much thinner and weaker lipid barrier, which renders our skin more vulnerable to environmental pollutants and harsh chemicals. To make up for your weaker lipid barrier, extra effort has to be made restore the impaired epidermal layer.
- Serum Biosensible – restores defective hydrolipidic film, soothes skin, reduces inflammation
- Emulsion Biosensible (for dehydrated) / Emulsion Biosensible S.R (for oily) – restores defective hydrolipidic film, diffuses redness, soothes skin
- Fluid VIP02 – forms anti-pollution shield on skin surface, reduces signs of fatigue, brightens complexion
Abrasion just causes extra unnecessary stress to sensitive skin that already has a weakened skin barrier. Try to be as gentle as possible when it comes to sensitive skin, and shy away from excessive exfoliating. Instead of rubbing yourself with a towel after showering, try using a light hand to pat yourself dry instead.