Most of us are no stranger to the idea of exfoliation. We know that exfoliating our skin helps get rid of dead skin cells, uncovering the potential radiance that is masked underneath. But not many of us are aware of how crucial exfoliation is for our skin. On average, we lose around 500 million skin cells daily - that’s a lot of dead skin cells that can accumulate to give us a dull and patchy complexion that we all dread. One of the best ways to counter that? Exfoliation.
How does exfoliation work?
There are two kinds of exfoliants: physical and chemical. Physical exfoliation usually involves the use of micro-fine granules, beads, or other small grains that rub against the top layers of the skin to remove dead skin cells. Chemical exfoliation, on the other hand, utilizes chemicals to loosen the bonds that hold dead skin cells together.
Dead skin cells that are trapped on the skin’s surface quickly pile up, leading to common problems such as clogged pores, dry skin and dull complexions. By exfoliating our skin, we are regularly eliminating the dead skin cells that compromise our skin’s true potential. With the removal of these dead skin cells, the appearance of pores will be minimized, hyperpigmentation will be lightened, texturized skin will be smoothed out and dull skin will be brightened. In addition, exfoliation leaves your skin fresh and prepared for optimum absorption of the following skincare products.
What should I exfoliate my skin with?
Between the physical and chemical exfoliants that are on the market, which should you invest your money in? Since chemical exfoliants do not involve harsh rubbing against the skin, they are generally gentler for our skin and is the better option for getting read of dead skin whilst not causing excessive irritation. If physical exfoliation is not done properly, micro-tears can be caused in the skin.
If you’re looking for skincare which has chemical exfoliating active ingredients to add into your skincare regime, here are some of our favourites:
- P50 pigm400 lotion - for pigmented, dull skin
- P50 lotion - for thick and oily skin
- P50W lotion - for sensitive, delicate skin
- P50V lotion - for mature, devitalized skin
- P50T lotion - for all skin types
- MC 110 lotion - for thin to normal skin
- Serum 3R – for devitalized, mature skin
- Crème Aux Acides De Fruits – for dull, imperfect, old acne scar skin
- BDR Re-action natural - for normal, fine and dry skin
- BDR Re-action deep - for impure, large-pored and oily skin
- BDR Re-action E - for all skin types